The global pandemic of COVID-19 has brought our world to a screeching halt. Even as states start making tenuous steps to reopen, stores remain closed, events remain cancelled, and many of our day-to-day activities remain frustratingly out of reach. In such a situation, the newly minted author might find themselves frustrated, unable to do book launches or book signings, and not able to get their works out into bookstores because all the bookstores have shuttered their doors to events and gatherings. With this in mind, we have compiled a list of things you can do while we await a return to normal.
2. Out of that mailing list, make a separate list of important people who might be able to help you. Fellow authors and publishers are good to have in your corner.
3. Update your website. Even if it's not something you use or visit often, it's the hub of your social media web, so keep it up to date.
6. Create a media list. Take the time to call journalists, reporters, editors that might be interested in your story. Ask for their help. Pay attention to deadlines and don't call during those times when all you will get from your conversation is, "Why are you bothering me now?"
7. Be on a mission to learn all you can about book marketing, promotion, and publicity. Look at your Amazon author page. Fill it out with images and text that will interest your reader.
8. Write a media release for your book launch. We'll be posting a blog on how to launch for your book digitally, so keep an eye out!
9. Develop some images for your books. Your prospective readers will love your posts on Instagram.
10. Keep an eye towards the future! Our world is changing rapidly around us, and for those of us stuck inside, it can be difficult to see what the future holds. But if you use your time wisely and prepare to meet the world on the other side of this pandemic, then you'll be in a great place to continue to get your works out into the world.
Use this time wisely and prepare to meet the world on the other side of this pandemic, then you'll be in a great place to get your works out into the world.
Nancy E. Randolph operates Just Write Books LLC offering consulting and coaching to writers. With over 50 years of writing experience and two decades in the publishing industry working with dozens of writers, Randolph has learned how to produce a manuscript that is ready for publication. Randolph uses that knowledge to help writers and authors reach their publishing goals. An active community member along with two others she founded and serves as a member of the board of Save Our Swinging Bridge.Org to ensure the maintenance of the historic Roebling-designed and -built bridge connecting Topsham and Brunswick.