Below are ten questions for book clubs to guide their discussions of this historically accurate novel by Virginia Chute.
The Remembrances of Marietta Lufford Book Club Questions:
- What character archetype(s) can be found in the protagonist of Marietta?
- How might Marietta’s fate have been different if she lacked or gained certain character traits?
- How did the format of the novel affect your reading/interpretation of it? What other literary devices/tools did the author use to bring about that interpretation?
- Who do you think is the intended audience? Is there a lesson or theme in the novel that this audience should pick up on?
- How does the setting of Maine aid in the plot and/or themes of the novel?
- What specific characters were elementary in Marietta’s progression as a woman and in her personal growth overall?
- Do you think the book realistically portrays the time period? How is this portrayal similar or different from other fictional books based in the same time period?
- In what ways might the journey of Marietta varied if she had been written as a male character? Would she have undergone the same struggles?
- What does the depiction of Native Americans in the book suggest about views during this time period? About the characters who talk about and/or describe the Native Americans?
- What did you think of the ending? Did it leave something to be desired—if so, how would you rewrite it?
This book and other titles from Just Write Books help people of all ages experience Maine of today and yesterday through a book written by a Maine author.